The debate between marijuana vs alcohol has been ongoing for many years. While the two drugs are often compared in terms of their recreational effects, many other factors must be considered when comparing the two. When it comes to health, there is no doubt that both drugs have the potential to be harmful.
However, when examining the long-term effects on the body and mind, it appears that cannabis may be the safer alternative. By understanding the differences between the two drugs, it is possible to make an informed decision about which is better for health. This article will explore the arguments for and against marijuana vs alcohol and the potential health benefits or harms of each.
Health Effects of Marijuana
However, this term is also used to describe other derivatives obtained from the Cannabis plant, such as hashish and oils. There are hundreds of chemicals found in marijuana, many of which have different effects when compared to alcohol. Cannabis is associated with many physical and mental health benefits.
These include the following:
- Physical Health Benefits of Marijuana: Marijuana has been shown to have some positive health effects. It can help treat a variety of illnesses and health conditions.
- Helpful Health Benefits: Over the years, research has yielded results to suggest that cannabis may be of benefit in the treatment of some conditions. These include, Chronic Pain, Depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and social anxiety.
- Harmful Effects of Marijuana on Health: Marijuana is a drug that affects all areas of the body, even though the immediate effects are felt in the brain. Some of the adverse effects of marijuana on health include poor lung health, increased risk of heart attack, as well as negative effects on mental health. Marijuana is known to cause anxiety, paranoia, and psychosis among other mental health problems.
Health Effects of Alcohol
Alcohol is a psychoactive drug made from fermented grains such as corn, wheat, barley and rice. It is used both recreationally and as a social lubricant in many cultures across the world. Alcohol is one of the most commonly used drugs in the world, with approximately 2.3 billion people (or 35% of the global population) drinking it at least once per year.
Alcohol is commonly consumed in the form of beer, wine, whisky, and other grain-based spirits. All of these are made by fermenting grains with water and yeast, which creates alcohol. Alcohol is associated with negative health effects, as well as a significantly increased risk of death.
These include the following:
- Physical Health Effects of Alcohol – Alcohol negatively affects the brain, heart, liver and other organs in the body.
- Some of the negative health effects of alcohol on the brain and body include: impaired judgment, decreased cognitive function, motor function impairment, increased risk of certain cancers, and increased risk of cardiovascular diseases and liver disease.
Comparative Analysis of Marijuana vs Alcohol
There are many differences between marijuana vs alcohol, but the most notable ones are related to health. Although both drugs can have negative effects on health, it appears that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol. This is because alcohol is a known carcinogen, whereas cannabis is not.
- Health and Social Effects: When it comes to the health effects of both drugs, alcohol is associated with more negative effects than cannabis. Alcohol can lead to many health issues, such as liver disease, cancer, and heart disease.
- Cannabis does have some harmful effects but on a smaller scale. Cannabis users can experience short-term effects, such as anxiety and paranoia, as well as long-term effects, such as lung impairment and damage to brain function.
Benefits of Marijuana vs Alcohol
Marijuana is a healthier drug vs alcohol in many aspects. The main health benefits of cannabis are its potential to treat illnesses such as chronic pain and anxiety, as well as its low risk of causing death. In comparison, alcohol is associated with an increased risk of death, particularly from cancer and liver disease.
Social Effects – Both drugs affect social interaction, but alcohol has a more detrimental effect on social connections. Alcohol is often associated with aggression, violence, and anti-social behaviour, whereas cannabis is known for its relaxing effects.
Marijuana is a drug that has been under intense scrutiny in recent years. However, it appears that cannabis is a much healthier drug than alcohol.
This is mainly because alcohol is a carcinogen, while cannabis is not. If you are looking to make a healthier choice between the two, it appears that cannabis is the better option.
The debate between Marijuana vs Alcohol is an ongoing debate, as new studies come out everyday.